…which needed to be removed if we were to be productive. Just adding shiny new things would only add to our workload if we didn’t also get rid of the old ones.
In fact the most significant legacy systems needed to be removed (or at least isolated) before we could even start R2. These included internal dependencies on an unsupported browser, a cumbersome (and imminently unsupported) application server, and a particularly insidious database table.
Eliminating these was not a glamorous job by external standards, but it was a necessary one. And significantly it allowed us to prove and improve our Agile skills. Each project was more complicated than the one before. By the time we got to the last of these we believed we really could undertake the largest software project since the website began.